“This is for you,” our young blonde seatmate told us, nodding to a black tote bag reading “I <3 RTR (RentTheRunway.com)” sitting on our seat. It was Sunday afternoon, and we had just finished cramming our luggage into the overhead bin of the crowded South Hampton Jitney headed back to New York City.
“That’s not ours,” we said defensively, lest we be forced to put some items underneath the bus. (The Jitney rivals only JetBlue for their inflexibility toward carry-ons.)
“No,” our companion for the next two hours told us. “It’s a freebie. Everyone gets one.”
The Jitney is giving out swag? We must be on the wrong bus. But no, this was not the Ambassador. It was just the regular Jitney. (You could tell because the WiFi wasn’t working and no one offered us free wine.)
We greedily pawed opened our bag, sponsored by to see what kind of goodies awaited us:
- A sample-size portion of Aged White Cheddar Pirate’s Booty with Spongebob Squarepants on the front.
- A box of Vita CoCo Coconut Water, which is as abundant as regular water in the Hamptons.
- A $50 gift certificate for RentTheRunway.com, which we immediately used because we have no self-control and really wanted that Lilly Pulitzer summer dress.
- A gift certificate for a free bottle of BlowPro Beach Blow Texturizing Mist hair, redeemable at any Drybar.
- Lancôme Cosmetics’ Juicy Tubes lip gloss in what appeared to be “Bubblegum.”
- Esprit d’Oscar perfume from Oscar De Lorenta: .02 oz.
The Hamptons, for all intents and purposes, is no longer a destination but an event. And like any good fundraiser or launch party, you get a bag full of goodies just for leaving at a reasonable time.
Follow Drew Grant via RSS.